A Tin Can Robot – The Idea

Since R2D2 from StarWars is very popular with my kids these days,  I started working on a tin can robot which looks something like R2D2 and is remote controllable through a Android device (cell phone, tablet, ..).

The body is made from a can which originally was for coffee. As you can see in the pictures below, I sanded the whole can, since I plan to re-paint it later on. For the legs I used some u-shaped pieces of aluminium I found in my shop. To each leg I added a gear motor with a small wheel. The wheels fit perfectly inside the u-shaped aluminium legs. Beside the to motored legs, which I mounted to the left and right of the can, I used a small  roll which I attached on the bottom of the can.

To drive the motors, I use a TB6612FNG motor controller which is operated through a Parallax Propeller Quickstart board. The commands  to operate the motors are received through a BTBee. On the Propeller I use my PROPSHELL code to parse what was received from the BTBee. To send commands, I currently use my cell phone with Bluetooth SPP app. With this setup, I am currently able to remotely drive the robots motors. Next step will be to put all the stuff  into the can, adding batteries, and see how the thing behaves while driving.

The original tin can

The original tin can

The sanded tin can

The sanded tin can

Can with legs

Can with legs

An other view of the can with legs

An other view of the can with legs

Test setup with Propeller, BTBee and motor controller

Test setup with Propeller, BTBee and motor controller. Stan supervising.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.